The Tanjai Kamala Indira Dance School, pioneers of Indian classical dance schools in Malaysia and the most popular school of the Tanjavur style of Bharathanatyam, was established in 1966 by two sisters, Ms. Kamala and Ms. Indira. Mr. Azhli Arul Dass, a famous dramatist, known as the “Protector of Drama”, officially inaugurated the school on the 2nd of September 1966. The school operated initially at Thambusamy Pillai Tamil School – Sentul and gradually spreaded its wings to Gombak, Jalan Ipoh, Brickfields, Petaling Jaya, Kepong, Klang, Kajang, UPM Serdang, Seremban and Johor. Due to the growing number of students and adherence to quality training, classes are currently conducted at the Main Centre -Jalan Ipoh, Kajang and Sungai Buloh. To date, the school has produced 20 thematic productions, 55 Arangetram, more than 1000 Salangai Poojai and numerous dance recitals. The school continues to generate excellent dancers and choreographers. Some graduates from the school are currently conducting their own dance classes successfully all over the country and overseas.
The school has carved a niche in the annals of Indian classical dance institutions in Malaysia by being the longest established Indian classical dance academy spanning 50 years in propagating this ancient form of dance.